Microsoft is the largest tech giant in the field of technology lately. Its advanced features and facilities make Microsoft the best one in the mentioned domain. One of the primary products of Microsoft is the Windows Operating System. This OS has many versions and updates. The recent one is Windows 10. This is one of the best OS till the days. Many users prefer Windows 10 for its easy interface and durability. After upgrading to Windows 10, you may find that there are lots of problems. In this updated version, there are many issues which you can see. One of the most encountered problems is when you press the Start icon and then the search option, they are not working properly. If the trouble is too much hard to shake off, here’s what you can do about it. However, a quick glance of the underlying reasons would help you deal with the problem in a proper way.
What are the Causes behind Windows 10 Search Menu Not Working?
There are different types of causes for which you should have noticed the search option Windows 10 not working. But the exact cause of the issue depends on different combinations of PC environments. Just look through the below-mentioned reasons:
This can be the general cause behind this problem which you have faced. If you have installed any security software, your computer gets detected. That’s why you need to scan your full computer files to come out of the problem.
2.Corrupted System Files
Windows 10 Start menu not working occurs sometimes due to corrupted system files. If you have not installed proper system files from starting setup, then it hampers your system too. So, you must always ensure to have a proper system file.
3.Outdated Windows Operating System
First, you have check that any update option is available or not.updating the Operating System is a part of using it without any detection. So, don’t skip any update.
4.Improper Installation Of The Windows Operation
Sometimes, we do a mistake of downloading the Operating System inappropriately including half-hearted attempts or deceptive and malicious sources. We often follow different Youtube videos from unauthorized sources. So, you have to do the proper installation in a proper way.
A Few Tricks To Fix Search Menu Not Working On Windows 10
The Windows 10 search not working is a really annoying issue when you count on Cortana a lot. These problems can defeat you to the core as you won’t be able to open anything in the search option. Here are a few solutions that will help you to solve the Windows 10 search button not working issue in an easy and smooth way.
1: Relog Into your Account
It is the easiest process that applies to your device quickly. So read and check all steps.
- First, tap on the ‘Ctrl+Alt+Delete’ at the same time and press ‘sign out’ option.
- Then, write your password in a given box and log in again.
- After logging in check once if the search options menu works properly now.
2: Scan For Viruses
The scan can be reliable for secure your computer. Use antivirus for scanning to get rid of this error. After scanning, the affected files are detected there and remove it from your PC. Lastly, restart your computer.
If you have antivirus software, then you can scan by using Easy recovery essentials.
- First, download Easy recovery essentials.
- Boot up your system from this application.
- When it is running, choose ‘virus scanner’ and click ‘ok’.
- Then scan your device and after processing restart your computer.
3: Reinstall Cortana
Start menu not working is happened due to defected Cortana. So, you reinstall it to fix the issue.
- Go the ‘Task manager’ from the taskbar.
- Then, select ‘File’ option and head over ‘Run new task’ option.
- Next, write ‘powershell’ and enter on it.
- Now, your Cortana is reinstalled and overcome your Start menu.
4: Run The SFC Scan
System File Checker(SFC) is an application in Microsoft Windows that can detect and repair system file. SFC scan all injured files that effects on the error.
- On your keyboard, enter ‘Windows key + X’.
- Then, go to the ‘Command prompt’ by taping it and choose ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- Write ‘sfc/scannow’ and tap on entering key on your keyboard.
- Restart your computer.
- If SFC can’t notice your problem, then go to Safe mode and run the system file checker again.
5: Modify Windows Search Service
Modifying Windows Search Service is another solution to the issue. The way which you can apply to resolve is:
- First, tap on the Windows key+R both.
- Then write ‘services.msc’ in the run box and select Enter.
- Next, tap ‘W’ button to localize Windows search option and select ‘properties’ option by right-clicking it.
- Additionally, modify the startup type to ‘Automatic’ and press ‘OK’ button to save it.
- Last, click exit and restart your PC.
6: Rebuild Index
In the case, the error is still annoying a lot, follow the way:
- First of all, click the start menu and type ‘Indexing option’.
- Then, tap on the ‘Advanced’ option.
- After that, come a new Window and press ‘Rebuild’ option there.
- Click on ‘OK’ to continue.
7: Run The Troubleshooter
If you update very badly, this update version obstructs not working start menu. So, try to read the troubleshoot method thoroughly.
- First, visit ‘Settings’ app.
- Click on ‘Updates & security’ and then go to the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Choose ‘windows update’ option and press on ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
- Now, start your PC again and look out your issue solved or not.
8: Repair Windows System Files
There is some problem with Windows system files. Then, these steps help us to come out from a shutdown problem.
- Firstly, search ‘cmd’ in the start menu and head over the Command prompt folder.
- Then go to the ‘Run as administrator’ by clicking it.
- For granting the permission press ‘Yes’.
- Type ‘sfc/scannow’ command and click ‘Enter’ key.
- Check that your PC is closed easily.
9: Uninstall Dropbox
Sometimes Dropbox is problematic. That detects with the Start menu. You just uninstall in to come out the issue.
- First, press ‘Windows key+R’ both and type ‘Control’ in the run box.
- Change category and tap on ‘Uninstall a program’.
- Search out ‘Dropbox’ button and click ‘Uninstall’ option to delete it completely.
10: Create A New User Account
Creating a new account may dissolve your error. So, just try once.
- Go to the ‘Taskbar’ and press ‘Task manager’ option at the bottom part.
- Then, press ‘File’ folder after entering Task manager and visit ‘Run new task’ option.
- Type ‘Powershell’ in the given box and press ‘Ok’.
- Type ‘newpassword/add’ in the same Window and press ‘Enter’ key.
- Now, restart your PC and enter your new account by logging in.
Hopefully, your Start menu should work well.
11: Assign SYSTEM Permissions To Folder
Applying above all process, even you don’t recover the issue till now. You need to construct permissions for the folder. Including many folders, there is some issue where a folder may be lost their SYSTEM permission. There are some steps to get rid of the error.
- Open a folder which you want to index and press ‘Properties’ option.
- Tap on ‘Security’ tab.
- Then, tap on ‘Edit’ button in the Group and usernames folder.
- Press ‘Add’. after that, type the object name and tap on the check names to assign SYSTEM permission to the folder.
- Press ‘OK’ and below ‘Permission for system’ folder, tick on ‘Read & Execute’, ‘List folder contents’ and ‘Read’ in ‘Allow’ section.
- Click ‘Apply’ to continue and then ‘OK’. That’s it.
We hope that you read and check all the reasons and causes attentively. Also, you fix Windows 10 not working issue by applying any of the methods. Keep watching us attentively and we hope that the article helps you to handle the particular situation. We think that you should understand my views. We think that Windows 10’s features will be updated gradually and you can’t face any issue from the Start menu in the future. It might help you to download and update easily. In case you face any issue, we try to update later. Also share once if you like our article. Keep