USB ports are the essential components of a computer which is used to connect portable hard drives.
If the USB ports are not recognizing any device, then this is one of the facts that you need to worried about.
Here in this article, you will get to learn the effective workarounds to solve the USB ports not working on Windows 10 issue efficiently.
So, check it out completely and sincerely to learn the methods.
What Results in USB Ports Not Working Windows 10?
There are several factors responsible for USB ports not working on Windows 10 and these are as follows:
- USB device installation issue
- USB device driver gets conflicted with another program (antivirus especially)
- The corrupt or damaged USB driver
- Lack of USB ports driver updates
Whatever be the cause, try the methods one-by-one as arranged below to fix the USB ports not working error efficiently.
Reliable Methods to Get Rid of the USB Ports Not Working Windows 10 Issue:
Solving the “All USB ports not working Windows 10” issue is a challenge for many of the users. But, if you follow all the methods of this article, then you can solve it very efficiently.
The last and final option to resolve the error will be to leave the responsibility to an expert.
Method 1: Reinstall the USB Device
Sometimes, due to a loose connection of the USB device, the USB ports fail to work on Windows 10. If this is the case, then only by uninstalling and reinstalling the USB device, the problem will get resolved.
However, in certain cases, the problem arises due to incorrect loading of the device driver.
To solve this problem, you need to uninstall the present (ie. the damaged) device driver at first, and then reinstall it.
The steps to proceed with to perform this method are cited below:
- At first, press the Windows button along with the letter R to open the Run bar window.
- After that, in the Run bar, type devmgmt.msc.
- Next, click on OK or hit the Enter button.
- Then, under the Device Manager window, go to the Univeral Serial Bus controllers section.
- Double-click on Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand the list.
- Now, from the expanded list, right-click on the device driver.
- After that, from the menu window, select the Uninstall device option.
- Next, plug out the USB device and then restart your PC.
Now, as your computer turns on, plugin back the USB device and then check if the issue gets resolved or not.
If not, then do not worry, try further methods as explained below, till you get the problem resolved.
Method 2: Disable the “Allow the Computer to Turn off this Device to Save Power” Option
If the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” option is in enabled condition, then this is one of the reasons causing the USB port not working Windows 10 issue.
To fix this factor causing the problem, proceed with the below steps.
- First of all, press down the Windows button along with the letter X.
- Then, from the menu window, select the Device Manager option.
- After that, under the Device Manager window, scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.
- And then double-click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand its list.
- Further, from the expanded list, right-click on the device driver.
- After that, select the Properties option under the menu window.
- Next, click on the Power Management tab.
- Under the Power Management tab, ensure that the checkbox for the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” option is not active.
If it was active, then to inactivate it, click on the checkbox in a single time.
- Repeat the steps for every USB drivers.
- At last, restart your PC and then attach the USB device on the ports to check if the issue gets resolved or not.
Most of the time, the answer to this is Yes. But, if no, in your case, then continue the further method.
Method 3: Modify the Shutdown Settings
Modifying the Shutdown Settings is another effective method to fix the USB ports not working Windows 10 issue. The steps to perform this task are cited below:
- At first, tap the Windows button to activate the Search bar.
- After that, on the search bar type control.
- Then, from the search result, click on the Control Panel option.
- Now, check the “View by” section of the Control Panel and set it as Large icons or not. If not, then open the Menu list for View by and select the Large icons option.
- Further, under the Control Panel window, open Power Option.
- Then, from the left-hand side of the Power Options window, click on the Choose what the Power button does link.
- Next, click on “Change settings that are currently unavailable”, that is under the “Define power buttons and turn on password protection” section.
- After that, under the Shutdown settings window, uncheck the checkbox for “Turn on fast startup (recommended)”.
- Then, click on the Save changes button.
Now, restart your PC and then confirm if the USB ports are working on Windows 10 or not.
Method 4: Disable USB Selective Suspended Setting
According to a few users, by disabling the USB select suspended setting, the problem will get resolved.
The steps to follow are listed hereunder:
- Tap the Windows button along with the letter R to open the Run bar window.
- Then, in the Run bar, type control.
- After that, click on the OK button. This will open the Control Panel window.
- Further, ensure the “View by” of the Control Panel into Large icons.
- Next, click on Power Options.
- Further, select the Change plan settings option that is present next to your currently selected plan.
- Now, click on Change advanced power settings.
- After that, expand the list for USB settings by double-clicking on it.
- Then, set the USB selective suspend setting to Disabled.
- And lastly, click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
After following the steps, retry to use the USB device on your PC to check if the issue gets sorted or not. Hopefully, your answer will be Yes this time.
Method 5: Update the USB Root Hub Drivers
If the above methods do not succeed in getting back the proper working of the USB ports, then you can try out this procedure.
In this method, you need to update the USB Root Hub drivers. Updating the USB Root Hub drivers is one of the effective methods in solving the problem. So, let’s try.
- Firstly, tap the Windows button along with the letter R to open the Run bar window.
- After that, in the Run bar, type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotations.
- Next, click on the OK button.
- Now, as the Device Manager window opens, get the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section under it.
- Further, double-click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand.
- Now, update all the USB Root Hub drivers from the expanded list, one by one.
To update a driver, right-click on the driver at first. After that, from the menu window, select the “Update driver option.
This will get you the “How do you want to search for drivers?” window open with the options mentioned below:
- Search automatically for updated driver software
- Browse my computer for driver software
Click on “Search automatically for updated driver software”. Now, follow the on-screen instructions to install the update.
- Once all the USB Root Hub drivers update is installed, then ensure that the USB starts working.
How to Avoid the USB Ports Not Working Windows 10 Issue?
To avoid the USB ports not working issue, you need to follow the following guidelines.
- Do not plug out and plug-in back the USB device continuously
- Always keeps your PC update
- The USB device must be in a working state.
All these are the effective workarounds to fix the USB ports failing to work on Windows 10 issue.
If you have any further problem in following the above methods, then you can contact a technician for your help.