Mac users often face the ‘The item Dropbox can’t be moved to Trash because some of its plugins are in use’ error while trying to remove the Dropbox application from the Mac.
For some users, this notification pops up even after following all the instructions from the Dropbox website. Whenever users trying to drag the app to Trash, the error continuously pops up.
This issue not only happens on some specific OS X or macOS versions only, but it can also happen in other OS version as well as other Mac computer.
If you are unaware of how to remove Dropbox from Mac, then you just arrive on the right page. You are recommended to take a glance at the solutions discussed below.
How to Remove Dropbox Files from Mac? Easy Hacks to Delete Dropbox from the macOS
Here, we are going to discuss 2 easy methods to solve this issue. Stick to the hacks explained below.
How to Quit the Dropbox Processes?
Step 1: Disconnect the Mac from the Dropbox
In the beginning, you have to disconnect the Mac from the Dropbox by performing the steps as follows:
- Tap on the Dropbox icon by going to the Menu bar.
- Navigate to the Preferences section and tap on the Account.
- Select the Unlink Dropbox option from the next page.
Step 2: Close the Dropbox
Now, you should exit from the Dropbox. To do so, have a look at the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the menu bar and tap on the Dropbox icon.
- Now, navigate to the Dropbox menu and tap on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon.
- Choose the ‘Quit Dropbox’ option from the next window.
Step 3: Quit the Dropbox processes
Navigate to the Applications and tap on the Utilities. Now, choose the ‘Activity Monitor’ from the next window.
Now, quit the Dropbox processes that are currently running on the background of the system. Then, you have to move the Dropbox to Trash. Drag-and-drop the Dropbox application into the Trash from the Application folder.
It will not remove the Dropbox folder or the content from the system. Hence, if you wish to remove the Dropbox folder completely from the system, then you also need to drag it to Trash.
How to Remove the Dropbox from the Contextual Menu?
- First, launch the Finder and choose the ‘Go to Folder’ by going to the ‘Go menu.’ (Or if you prefer, you can also press the G, Command, and Shift key simultaneously from the keyboard).
- Now, type “/Library” on the dialog box.
- After that, you should drag and drop the Dropbox Helper Tools folder to Trash to remove it from the system.
How to Delete the Dropbox Application Settings?
- First, invoke the Finder and choose ‘Go to Folder’ option by going to the Go menu. (Else, you can also use the G, Command, and Shift key simultaneously).
- Now, type “~/.dropbox” on the dialog box.
- Choose all the files from the folder. Then, drag and drop it to Trash.
After performing the above steps, if you are still not able to remove dropbox from Mac, then you should perform the next alternative solution.
Perform the steps given below:
- Bring up the Dropbox application and tap on the ‘Control’ button.
- Select the ‘Show Package Contents’ from the list.
- Now, you should launch the selected folder.
- After that, search for the Plugins folder by scrolling down the list and remove it from the system.
- One the Finder.
- Go to the Directory where the Dropbox application is located.
- Choose the Dropbox application and hit the Delete and Command key both at the same time from the keyboard.
- After that, tap on the ‘Move to Trash’ option.
Now, you should check whether the Dropbox is removed from the Mac.
In the above discussion, we have addressed some of the amazing tips and tricks to remove the Dropbox from the macOS. We hope, it will surely assist you to put an end to your queries.
If you face any kind of trouble while performing the above steps, then you should contact a professional. In addition, you can also share your doubts and valuable feedback through the comment section given at the end of this post.