Many Windows 10 users come across issues while trying to print a document, sometimes the issue is related to printer connectivity or it might be due to any technical glitch in your printer which is setting your active printers to offline. While you are trying to print a document via your printer, a sudden error message pops up which displays “printer is offline Windows 10” error. Usually, it is found that this error is encountered by users who are using network printers, but sometimes the home users also complain about this issue who have a direct connection to their printer.
If you ever come across this error in your printer, then at first, you should check the status of your printer from the “Devices and Printers” window.
Prominent Causes Which Lead To Printer Offline Error In Windows 10
When Windows 10 fails to detect that your printer is online, an error message pops out displaying printer is offline Windows 10 error. It might be due to any connectivity issue or might be due to any printing error. Some generic causes may be responsible for the occurrence of this error:
- If the printer has encountered an internal error.
- If the connection between the printer and your computer is unresponsive or extremely slow.
- Due to the multiple unfinished print jobs in the queue.
Troubleshooting Methods To Fix Printer Is Offline Windows 10 Error
If Windows 10 fails to detect that your printer is online, then you can try any of the below-mentioned solutions to fix the printer is offline Windows 10 as soon as possible. You should try the solutions one by one to check which one works for you.
Method 1: Change The Settings In Your Printer
In most of the cases, restarting the printer and computer might help in resolving printer issues. But if you are using a network printer, it can be either wired or wireless, then the problem might be due to the printer’s connectivity. Then, you should restart your router. Even after that, if Windows 10 says the printer is offline, then you can follow the below guidelines to fix this error.
- At first, open the Control Panel window and then navigate to the Printers window.
- After that, verify whether the correct printer is set to Default.
- Then, right-click on your default printer and choose the print queue.
- If you find any unfinished task, then remove it from the list.
- Thereafter, go to the queue window and choose the Printer option from there
- Then, uncheck the option “Use Printer Offline.”
- Check whether your printer is properly connected to your computer. For that, you can also unplug the USB cable first and then plug it back again.
- If you are using a network printer, then you can also perform a connection test by restarting your router or switch.
- After that, turn your printer off and on again. Do the same with your computer.
If then also the problem remains unresolved, then you need to reinstall your printer drivers.
In Case Of Wireless Printers
If you are using a wireless printer, then you should try to connect to its IP address for solving the issue. In order to find the IP address, you need to go to Control Panel option and from there, choose the option “Devices and Printers.” then, right click on the name of your printer and choose the option “Properties.”
- Go to the General or Web services tab. There you will get to see the IP address of your printer.
- Then, copy the address and paste it on the address field of your browser.
There is an alternative way to this. You just need to open CMD. Type Ping in it followed by the IP address of your printer and then hit on Enter button.
Method 2: Restart Your Print Spooler Service
In order to solve the printer is offline Windows 10 error, you need to simply restart the print spooler service. This spooler service is used by your printer for printing purpose. Therefore, sometimes restarting these services might resolve the issue. For restarting your printer spooler service, you need to follow the steps listed below:
- At first, press Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- In the Run box, enter services.msc and press Enter.
- Next, click on the OK button to open the Services window.
- From there, try to locate the Print Spooler service and then right click on it.
- Then from the Menu, choose the Restart option.
This will instantly restart the Print Spooler service. But this is not a permanent solution, so there is a possibility that even after restarting the Print Spooler service, the issue might reappear.
Method 3: Reinstall Your Printer Drivers Either Manually Or Automatically
Sometimes printer is offline Windows 10 error occurs due to an outdated or incomplete installation of the printer drivers. There are actually two methods through which you can do this manually or automatically. For that, you need to follow the steps below:
- At first, go to the Control Panel section and choose the option “Devices and Printers”.
- Then, try to locate your printer and right-click on it.
- Choose the option “Remove Device.” Then, a confirmation dialog will appear.
- You need to choose the option Yes.
Once you find that your printer is removed, then you need to download the latest drivers for your printer. You can do so by visiting the printer manufacturer’s website and then find the appropriate driver for your printer. Then, download and install the latest drivers for your printer. This will effectively resolve the issue.
For Updating The Drivers Automatically
As the manual updating of the drivers require some computer knowledge and skills and if you lack technical know-how, it is strongly suggested to trust a third-party tool for updating the drivers automatically. This is the quickest and most efficient solution for resolving the update driver issue.
Method 4: Change The Properties Of Your Printer
According to many users, the printer is offline Windows 10 can be easily fixed by altering the properties of your printer. It is quite an easy process and you can solve it by following some simple steps:
- At first, go to the Control panel option.
- Then, select the Devices and Printers option.
- Next, right-click on your computer and go to the Menu option.
- Choose Printer Properties from it.
- After that, go to the Ports tab and choose the IP address of your printer from the list provided.
- Then, click on the Configure Port button and uncheck the option “SNMP Status Enabled”.
- Finally, click on OK to save the changes.
After saving the changes, you can be assured that the issue with your printer gets completely resolved. But if the issue prevails, then proceed to the next step.
Method 5: Install The Latest Updates On Windows 10
If you are encountering printer is offline Windows 10 error very frequently, then you need to simply install the latest updates for fixing the issue. Usually, Windows 10 download the updates in the background automatically. However, sometimes you might skip an important update. Under such a situation, you can check for updates manually through the steps described below:
- First of all, open the Settings app by pressing Windows key + I.
- When it opens, then go to the Update and Security section.
- After that, click on “Check for updates” button.
If any updates are available over there, then Windows will automatically download them in the background. In case, you find that Windows 10 says the printer is offline, even after installing the latest updates, then move on to the next step for resolving the issue.
Method 6: Check Whether You Are Using A VPN Connection
If you are using VPN and network printer, then there are chances that you might receive printer is offline Windows 10 error. If you want to fix this error, then the best way is to disconnect from VPN and then again try to access your printer. On the other hand, if you want to use your printer and VPN both, then by using the USB cable you need to connect the printer directly to the PC.
Alternatively, you might also resolve this issue by making adjustments in your VPN configuration and also grant local network access.
Method 7: Add Another Printer Device
Last but not least, this error can also be solved by adding another printer device. This method works only when you are using a network connection. So, follow the steps below to add a second printer:
- Go to the Control Panel window and choose the Devices and Printers section.
- Then, try to locate your printer by right-clicking on it.
- Choose the option “Remove device”.
- Go to the Ports tab and hit on “Add Port” button.
- From there, select the “Standard TCP/IP Port”.
- Then, click on New Port option and it will automatically start the “Printer Port Wizard”.
- After that, click on “Next” option and enter all the required information.
You will get all the important information from the manual instruction of your printers and then, click on ‘Next’. By doing this, your printer will again start working like before and that too without any issues.
Hope that this guide will help you in fixing your printer is offline Windows 10 error. But even after trying each of them, still, if you encounter this error, then it might be a hardware issue. Under such circumstances, you should either try out a different printer or a different computer. You can also opt to contact a professional for fixing this particular issue.