It seems like Intel is announcing later this week their own flavor of internet tablets they are calling MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices). From a presentation document (PDF) Intel has officially released, what we can gather are the following:
- Foundation leverages Gnome Linux Desktop Technology, GTK+, DBUS, GConf
- Intel developed user interface called ‘Master User Interface’
- New Linux distro called RedFlag MIDINUX (v1.0 to be available sometime May)
- Support of the Intel 915 chipsets
- Browser, news reader, IM, VoIP
- Media player, audio recorder, image viewer, camera
- GPS, email, PDF reader, Bluetooth
- 18 second boot time, 3.2 second resume time
From the screenshots, the MIDs look like Maemo with Intel’s customized front-end Master User Interface (MUI), finger freindly, application launcher.
It is not yet clear how far Maemo and RedFlag MIDINUX will inter-operate but you can be sure that both platforms will be covered in Internet Tablet Talk.
A lot more images after the jump.